Sunday, November 21, 2021

Silencing the "A"

 At the ripe old age of 16 (give or take) I had to build headers for the drags. While I was welding these together, one of the neighbors near Dad's shop stopped by to chat. 

He stated the obvious, " they're going to rust here in Los Angeles"! I knew this but Hi Temp Paint?

I work down at Fenton, he says, get'em done by Thursday and I'll run'em through with the porcelain manifolds over the weekend. Cool!!

Which weekend? and what color? He finally brought them back two weeks later (purple???) Well.... OK. It only cost me a case of beer and they wouldn't rust!


They didn't turn out quite as neat as I thought they should but WOW were they loud!!

Now just hit the carriage advance key and we have Sanderson and Ceramic coating. I really wanted a set ever since the stainless block huggers turned colors. They make the "A" a real Hot Rod!!



The headers arrive and they are gorgeous! Sanderson sends a set of inserts to quiet them down but they need to be carefully laid out and drilled on the BOTTOM of each tube at an appropriate distance from the end to the internal insert.

Using great CAUTION, this is accomplished with no disasters.

After drilling and tapping the inserts for some 10-24 stainless screws installed them and proceeded to put the Zoomies on.

Fired it up immediately!!

Within 60 seconds I knew this wasn't going to fly. Drove down the street and my buddy comments "Not too bad after you get about 8 houses away!"

I'm old school, and have fabbed my own silencers for years. Online I found DRAG Specialties mini glasspack cores (inserts) for Harleys with straight pipes.


I'm into glasspacks (Mitchell , Yuki) from long ago. At first sawed core (quietest) louver core (better tone) and then the loudest perforated core.

These are the perforated core but nicely done. Ordered eight and then waited for them to arrive from Florida. Each of these are rated at 50 cubic inches so should not be to detrimental to the 327" Chevy.

Had to sleeve them to fit tightly and installed with the same 10-24 screws.                                                                                                      

                                                                                            

All done!!

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Not much tone and still a wee bit offensive but we ca live with them now.

This is HOT ROD stuff!!



No comments:

Post a Comment