Monday, April 29, 2019

Thirty Nine Years New

After two years of work, the Stude made me tired to just look at it. I passed it on to a new and fresh builder. No regrets.

I decided  to move on to a new project (less than 50 years old). Dick and I like RED so here we go.

 As usual, the 1980 Corvette was not quite as advertised. 

I drive entirely too far for projects (and pay too much) so we load it up in the snow (white !#%^%**) and head for home.

Believe me when I suggest that this was a very long trip and my buddies that navigated for me forgot to bring a change of underwear!!

This is amazing, it fits the garage better than anything I've had in there.

Yes, it had been run hard and put away wet but after a year of tinkering it goes like hell and turns right (or left) at 55 mph. So very cool!

Only 39 years old and lots of fun.  I've got to figure out how to supercharge it without fuel injection......

Friday, March 31, 2017


The Model A was on vacation for about 5 months. The 34' was a larger driver and since I couldn't  corkscrew my 6"2" self into the "A", the Chevy was it.

About three weeks ago I squeezed in to it and went for a ride to the Sunday morning meet. On the way home I put the pedal to the metal in low gear..........OMG. Everything was magnificent until the windshield was covered in Prestone green.

At 1300 miles the new water pump blew the shaft seal....... All fixed now, we're going to carefully try this again. 

Saturday, July 30, 2016

The Wheel

I've been driving the "A" about a year now (carefully) and about 1100 miles. No where near the miles I put on the 34'. This one is way too pretty to scratch.
The original steering wheel was a 13" Grant as measured during the build. It was too small and an irritation to drive. 
Finally needed a wheel for the Stude, I replaced it with a 15" ForeverSharp banjo style.

The larger wheel is easier to drive and very flashy.

With just this new addition, I bet we're good for an additional 6 MPH in 2nd gear!!

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Dinner Out

This Blog started with my 34' Chevy Master. Being new the blogging world, I simply continued on to the Model "A". My tutor (daughter) didn't share with me the fact that you can have more than one Blog!  Several years ago, she assisted me in setting up the mountain Blog, and now I have cool is that??

The 34' has been worth its weight in gold!! It has been a real pleasure to drive and has introduced me to a number of car guys in the street rod scene all of which are real friends and most are retired as I am. It even got me back together with L.A. buddies from the 50's.

Every Friday evening about 10 of us (and 50/60 others) meet for dinner at a large shopping center parking lot for dinner at one of the fast food restaurants in the center.

Everyone seems to get a hoot out of the supercharged 235 Inline Chevy engine.

I take the 34' on Friday because the traffic on the way home seems to want to play chicken with the Model A. 

We get there early (retired!!!) and have "Dinner Out" before the rest of the cars arrive. My daughters don't really need an inheritance anyway........... 

Friday, March 20, 2015

Tire Truing

Does anyone remember taking the out of round tires (especially recaps) to the tire shop and having them spin cut the tires with an electric cutter to make them round??

That's what I am doing with the Model A rear tires, only I'm using ASPHALT!! I think its working, and I know its FUN!!

I actually had two issues with the "A" that needed to be taken care of. The first was a carburetor that had a terrible off-idle stumble. I spent days on this off and on and could not win. I finally went to a buddy's and borrowed another Edelbrock. After rebuilding, bigger jets, smaller rods and drilling the out the accelerator pump nozzles to .043", I had excellent nice. Mine now!!

Then there was the rebuilt?? turbo 350 that would not shift. I bought the
book, a Transgo shift programing kit and tore it apart. I replaced a junk valve body and a worn out governor with units out of my core and away we go! It took some tinkering with the governor springs but now we shift hard at 4200 RPM under load all the time, every time!

 I know two old farts in L.A. who might remember a car that looked a lot like this at Fontana in 1963. No purple headers now, and I KNOW I can still take that Olds hydro!!  A new project ahead.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Quieter Now

Picked up the carpet pieces from ABC and I am pleased with the binding. I provided the cut carpet and a pattern of instructions and everything came out very well.

The main issue here was to provide the ability to remove the front floor if necessary. The carpet is retained by 2 upholstered snaps on each side and velcroed to the firewall carpet.

It looked so nice that I didn't want to use it! Off to the store for El Cheapo rubber mats to be cut and fitted to the flat portion of the floor.

It's coming along as the details are worked out!

Saturday, September 13, 2014


I took me 2 days to cut and fit all of the padding for the inset firewall and four of the carpet pieces (No BOSS, and short 7 hour work days.

Here we are in the middle of the whole show. I hope to have all the carpet cut to take to the upholsterer on Monday for binding with the 2 1/2" strips I cut from from the leftover interior vinyl. Everything but the main floor carpet/pad will be glued in with DAP High Temp Landau Top adhesive.
In the removeable carpet floor of the 34', the upholstery shop velcro attached the floor carpet to the fixed firewall carpet and that is what we are going to do here.